Monday, April 16, 2012

Tuesday April 17- Day 5

Ivy has changed so much since yesterday. Her true personality is coming out. Yesterday she was quiet and somewhat reserved, with little smiles and humor appearing only occasionally. I took a nap with her, and after she woke I held her and cuddled on the couch. After a few minutes I heard a little sniffle. I realized she was starting to cry. I continued cuddling and comforting her and she let me hold her for about an hour while she sobbed. It was a cry that seemed to come from deep inside. It was so painful to watch and so hard to have no words that she could understand. But she seemed to comprehend my unspoken language. I wiped her face with a cool cloth several times and just let her continue until she was done. We were relieved that she did some grieving because we know this is a healthy sign. What a day for her. They told us she had never left the orphanage in her almost five years of life. And after the first time riding in a car and seeing the big world, she finds herself planted in a hotel room with these people who don't speak her language and look very different too. I'm so grateful she got some tears out. When she made her way off my lap, she proceeded to play with her new much-loved toys all evening. The bubbles were a big hit. She loves chasing and popping them. Then she picked up some chopsticks and started poking the bubbles that way. This confirmed our suspicion that she has quite a sense of humor! She also loved her bath. I rubbed lotion all over her and she seemed to like it, but acted like that was a totally new experience. Her skin is very dry. When I got her PJ's on her she proceeded to try and crawl in the little baby bed in the room! I led her to the big bed where she got to sleep in between Mama and Baba last night. She got a serious face and was quiet, and slept very well. But let me tell you, this girl grinds her teeth like none I've ever heard! And in our family I've heard it a lot. Do the jaw issues ever end at our house?? I think the stirring spoon in my much appreciated Via coffee woke her in the morning. I took my coffee cup over and left the light out and snuggled for a while. When she finally got out of bed she was a different kid. She started playing, laughing, talking and bouncing around. And as the day went on it only increased. I think she kinda likes the new life. The hotel has a wonderful big breakfast buffet. Can you even imagine this from her perspective? She eats anything and everything we put in front of her. 

This morning we competed our paperwork at the Civil Affairs Office. We came back and ate a light snack (still stuffed from the buffet) and we are going to venture out walking without our guide. There is a mall and restaurants there so it should be interesting. We hope to find a yummy dinner. Almost no one speaks English in  this city, so without our guide we are challenged! Our request to visit her orphanage was granted, so tomorrow we will take the long trip to Bengbu. It may be an emotional day, but an important one for piecing together her past. We will be able to see her 'finding spot'.  I'm happy we get to go, but not looking forward to the drive. Basically I just close my eyes and pray while we are on the roads. I really can't even put it into words. Here's some photos from today:

She found Macy's hat, put it on and started to put on a little show. We needed another comedian in the family!

One of her favorite things is to brush the doll's hair. She quickly got the bright idea of brushing her sister's instead! Notice the backpack..she doesn't want to take it off.


Leaving the Civil Affairs Office

Aww..so thankful for big sister photographer on this trip!

9 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness - these are precious. Reading your stories about her made me want to cry with her. That's just so cool that God has made this possible for her and you all. He is such a BIG God!!!!

    Stay safe and we'll see you in a couple weeks!

    Oh...and tell Macy she's doing an *amazing* job on the pictures!! Go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, she's a doll. She is so gonna love her new life with you guys.
    Were kinda like her when we first get saved aren't we? The ultimate "adoption".
    So happy for you guys. God is good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing you day. The Lord is so good! My heart is so happy and tender for all of you right now. The tears of joy continue to fall! Much love to all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for your postings and pictures. It truly keeps us all involved. The tears and cheers for your family's experiences are flowing. Wow, God has His hands wrapped around you! COntinued prayers for you. Love glenda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Watching through tears of joy as our family embraces precious Ivy with so much love. Grandma and Grandpa can't wait to meet you Ivy.
    Emma, you are so sweet with her and Macy, awesome with the camera....thank you all for sharing so much! Love and Prayers,
    Grandma and Grandpa

    ReplyDelete
  6. She looks so sweet! Glad you guys found a home for her at your house :) tell everybody I said hi...and hope you have a safe trip :) love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sweet day for your family. Thanks so much for allowing me to share in your joy. I follow your blog and have been so excited for your family.
    Tampa Florida

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, everyone, for your comments. Everyday we crowd around the computer to see who wrote. It's so fun and encouraging to hear from home.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for the daily updates. Kayla and I have grown so attached to your wonderful princess Ivy. Macy's amazing photographs have me in tears every time I look at them. I appreciate the details of your blog. I can't wait to read your next entry!

    Love,
    Laurie and Kayla

    ReplyDelete